7. It’s official: The US Supreme Court has ruled that DNA collection can come before conviction and without a judge issuing a warrant.
6. Collection of DNA – our most intimate genetic material – was equated with fingerprinting.
5. It overturns last year’s ruling by Maryland’s highest court which said that mandatory DNA collection upon arrest is unconstitutional.
4. Maryland now joins 28 other states and DC allowing DNA collection after arrest.
3. It was nice knowin’ ya, Fourth Amendment. “The court has cast aside a bedrock rule of our Fourth Amendment law: that the government may not search its citizens for evidence of crime unless there is a reasonable cause to believe that such evidence will be found,”- Justice Antonin Scalia
2. Ughh. “Make no mistake about it: Because of today’s decision, your DNA can be taken and entered into a national database if you are ever arrested, rightly or wrongly, and for whatever reason.” – Justice Antonin Scalia
1. PA could be next.
–by Ngani Ndimbe, Community Organizer